The BYU Democrats hosted an event for any student that leans left of center today. They had 7 professors speak about how and why they came to lean left, how they reconcile their religious beliefs with leaning left, as well as how their individual fields of study have led them to lean left. There were so many GREAT MOMENTS, here are the highlights I can remember:
- "I’m a Democrat because I’m rational."
- "ALL. MORMONS. ARE. SOCIALISTS."
- "I remember last fall when I put an Obama sign up in my yard… my yard was trashed. Several times. Raw garbage, toilet paper, you name it. How did I respond? Well, I have a kind of oppositional disorder probably, so I responded by putting additional Obama signs up. And Obama doesn’t even lean left enough for me."
- "Saying you can’t be Mormon and not a Republican is like saying the gospel is only for 48% of the country. Is the gospel not for everyone?"
- "You can apply issues such as gay marriage or abortion to the gospel easily. We believe in agency. We believe God gave it to us and we do not believe in taking that agency away."
- "Satan is the one telling you that you’re a ‘bad Mormon’ if you’re a Democrat. He doesn’t care about Republicans or Democrats or whatever. He only cares about you losing your testimony and leaving the church. One of my favorite scriptures is [Acts 5:21] after Peter is beaten he ‘rejoic[es] that [he] had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name.’ So you should be rejoicing.”
- Other examples of proof from the Book of Mormon and of Christ’s life that we believe in more liberal values:
- "And there were no contentions and disputations among them, and every man did deal justly one with another. And they had all things common among them; therefore there were not rich and poor, bond and free, but they were all made free, and partakers of the heavenly gift.” (4 Nephi 1:2-3)
- "And now, because of the steadiness of the church they began to be exceedingly rich, having abundance of all things whatsoever they stood in need—an abundance of flocks and herds, and fatlings of every kind, and also abundance of grain, and of gold, and of silver, and of precious things, and abundance of silk and fine-twined linen, and all manner of good homely cloth. And thus, in their prosperous circumstances, they did not send away any who were naked, or that were hungry, or that were athirst, or that were sick, or that had not been nourished; and they did not set their hearts upon riches; therefore they were liberal to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, whether out of the church or in the church, having no respect to persons as to those who stood in need.” (Alma 1:29-30).
- “But it came to pass in the twenty and ninth year there began to be some disputings among the people; and some were lifted up unto pride and boastings because of their exceedingly great riches, yea, even unto great persecutions; For there were many merchants in the land, and also many lawyers, and many officers. And the people began to be distinguished by ranks, according to their riches and their chances for learning, yea, some were ignorant because of their poverty, and others did receive great learning because of their riches.” (3 Nephi 6:10-12; saying this scripture also applies to our day.)
Makes me wonder.. How can you be a Mormon and NOT lean left?